Billy Broas is an entrepreneur, marketing coach and consultant and instructor of the Keystone online course.
If you’re anything like most people, you might cringe when you think about online marketing. Images of spam emails, invasive ads and ridiculous prices with a big line through them for products which mysteriously seem to be permanently discounted might come to mind.
I've had my own struggles with marketing, but it’s definitely one of the most valuable skills you can learn because ultimately making sales is what puts food on the table. People tend to only remember the bad examples of it, but good marketing can be entertaining and educational when done properly.
That’s exactly what drew me to Billy –– he doesn't rely on the scammy, pushy marketing so common on the internet today but focuses on forming a genuine bond between you and your audience, positioning you as a trusted expert in your field and bringing in revenue without damaging your reputation.
In this episode we discuss:
- The limiting beliefs that are holding you back from marketing yourself and your business
- Billy’s Bridge of Transformation Method that has produced multiple six and seven figure launches
- What you can learn from some of history’s greatest copywriters
If marketing is something you know you need to take your business or career to the next level, this episode will give you the mindsets and skillsets you need to thrive, as well as giving you some great insights into human psychology, business and online education.
- Introducing Billy [00:38]
- What was school like for Billy? [03:04]
- When was the first time Billy realised he was good at something? [04:29]
- How did Billy become a renewable energy consultant? [05:08]
- How Billy turned his side business into a full time project [06:33]
- Why an MBA doesn't teach you the business skills you need to thrive and how Billy apprenticed under a copywriting master[08:29]
- The power of marketing and why it's such a valuable skillset [10:14]
- What are limiting beliefs around sales and marketing and how can we overcome those misconceptions? [11:37]
- How does Billy learn from ads as a consumer? [14:46]
- What Billy & Nasos learned from studying master copywriter Gary Bencivenga's D2C olive oil company [15:58]
- What sets a master copywriter apart from beginner and intermediate-level practitioners? [17:21]
- What is the difference between direct response copywriters and brand copywriters? [19:44]
- What is education based marketing and why is it so effective? [20:27]
- What is the Bridge of Transformation and how does it work? [23:53]
- What are the five lightbulbs you have to 'switch on' to sell to your customers? [25:01]
- What is market sophistication and why does it matter? [28:24]
- How to do great customer research? [31:42]
- How to reconcile entrepreneurial creativity with the ‘boring’ principles of business and doubling down on what works [34:35]
- What is the key to selling premium products? How do you use the 80-20 principle when marketing these products? [36:50]
- Why does email marketing work best and convert higher than any other channel? [39:45]
- What was Billy’s experience working with course creators and starting his network from scratch? [43:42]
- Closing remarks [46:09]