Jeff Cobb is a thought leader in the field of lifelong learning and the author of the bestselling book, Leading The Learning Revolution. He also runs a popular blog and podcast, Leading Learning, and is the founder of Tagoras, a learning consultancy.
I previously had Jeff on the podcast back on episode 56 - go back and check that one out if you want to get an intro to Jeff's background and a broad discussion of the market for lifelong learning and the trends driving the global learning revolution.
Jeff is uniquely placed to view the lifelong learning industry from a big picture perspective given his many years of experience and the range of different clients he has been involved with - so when the current crisis hit, he was one of the first people I wanted to speak to.
In this episode we discuss
-The impact of COVID 19 on adult learning and higher education
-The need to navigate wicked learning environments
-The secret to running good virtual events and learning experiences
We also discuss the importance of personal branding for edupreneurs and the significance of community in learning experiences. This was a wide ranging conversation with someone who has a broad experience of the online learning space and it was great to pick his brains.
- Introducing Jeff [00:39]
- What has Jeff’s lockdown experience been like? How has he navigated online learning with his children? [02:12]
- What does Jeff think about the quality of learning since shifting online? [03:22]
- How has COVID impacted the business aspect of online learning? [04:47]
- What is online learning? [07:24]
- What business opportunities in online learning are currently emerging due to the pandemic? [08:26]
- How can community relieve the tension between supply and demand in the online learning space? [11:57]
- How is Jeff thinking about higher education in relation to his kids and their future with it? [16:27]
- With increasing fees and the growing popularity of online learning, what status awaits higher education in the US post-COVID? [17:16]
- How should businesses be thinking about retraining and upskilling workers with the current trend of employee displacement? [19:54]
- What are wicked learning environments? How do these environments limit a worker’s learning process? [22:27]
- What value points should people consider to create a successful and high-demand virtual event? [25:39]
- Jeff shares the tools and techniques they implement for their business [28:38]
- How can online learning creators keep their community engaged while still prioritising individual learning and interest? [30:49]
- How should entrepreneurs frame their thinking around their brand and the importance of branding? [33:22]
- What key ideas does Jeff want people to associate with his brand? How does he establish these ideas? [36:39]
- How can people distinguish experts in their fields? What separates someone with expertise from someone who is knowledgeable? [38:46]
- Jeff’s piece of advice for workers and learners during these uncertain times [41:24]
- Closing remarks [41:53]