Eric Partaker is the Co-Founder and CEO of Mexican restaurant chain Chilango and a High Performance Coach. Eric was named "CEO of the Year" at the 2019 Business Excellence Awards and in his role at Chilango, he oversees strategy, operations, and marketing as well as product, brand, and culture.
In the earlier parts of his career, Eric was part of high-performing teams at McKinsey and Skype and he’s continued to build his passion for high performance not just as CEO of Chilango but as a high performance coach.
He’s completed a coaching certification and apprenticeship with Professor BJ Fogg, who leads Stanford University’s Behaviour Design Lab and has also been certified as coach by the High Performance Institute.
In part 1 of the conversation we focused on Eric’s career and the business lessons he’s learned from Chilango. This second part of the conversation is focused on building high performance habits and the insights Eric has gained from his lifelong fascination with personal growth.
In this episode we discuss:
- The major problem with most approaches to personal development
- The relationship between identity, emotion and habit formation
- How to integrate the high performance mindset into all areas of your life
So whatever aspect of life you’re looking to improve, this episode will give you all you need and much more.
- Introducing Eric [00:32]
- What motivates Eric’s high-performance mindset? [03:19]
- How do we form habits that build high performance? [08:01]
- What is the question that successful people ask themselves to get to where they want to be? [14:50]
- What value do coaches bring to people? How is accountability a necessary quality to self-improvement? [16:32]
- How can learning how to prioritise be a life-changing habit? [21:37]
- Is doing tough and intense work an integral part of success? How does Eric reflect back on his journey to where he is now? [23:56]
- How did having a family change Eric’s perspective on how he runs his business? [26:18]
- How does Eric balance his time and energy among work, self-improvement, and family? [27:32]
- How does finding your ideal identity result in tangible goals? [30:00]
- Eric shares the importance of guidance in self-development [34:07]
- Why does Eric reach out to the authors of the books he reads? [37:02]
- What is one belief that Eric will hold firm under any circumstance? [41:24]
- What has Eric changed his mind about recently? [42:24]
- Closing remarks [43:58]