ML176: David Heinemeier Hansson on How To Learn Anything, Fighting Back Against Apple and Navigating the Culture Wars at Work
David Heinemeier Hansson is the creator of Ruby on Rails, the Co Founder and CTO of Basecamp (formerly 37signals), and the best-selling co-author of Rework and Remote with his co-founder Jason Fried.
On top of all this, David is an exceptional learner and has applied his methods to multiple skills including photography, coding and race car driving. He went from not having a driver’s license at 25 to winning, at 34, the 24 Hours of Le Mans race, one of the most prestigious car races in the world.
In this episode we discuss:
- David’s learning process and how he’s applied it to everything from photography to race car driving
- Basecamp's recent battle against Apple and the implications of Big Tech monopolies for business and society
- David’s take on a recent controversy at Basecamp around discussing political issues at work
We also cover why and how David is expanding Basecamp and growing their new email software business Hey, after two decades of keeping the business as small as possible in terms of employee numbers.
This conversation will give you access to the methods and philosophies of an exceptional learner as well as insight into some of the key issues of our time.
Follow David online
Sign up to my weekly newsletter and you'll get:
- 5x Video Lessons on the 5 key MetaLearning Principles
- 5x One-Page Cheatsheets to help you apply each principle
- The Learning Toolkit featuring my top 10 learning Apps
Enter Your Details Below for Instant Access